Saturday 19 December 2009

I Can Sense the Family Drama and I'm Still in Scotland

Ok, so I wrote before that I've recently gotten engaged to my boyfriend of 2 years. I haven't had the chance to tell my family yet because well, todays the first day they've called me since its happened. And I didnt tell them today because over Skype just didnt seem like a good idea, and because well, I'm sick and just wanted to get off the phone as quickly as possible

I leave for home at 3:30 tomorrow morning. So, I'm going to be telling them soon. But part of me is dreading it. For several reasons. Reason Number One: My dad has never even met my fiance. But this is my dads fault not my fiances. My dad has refused all invitations to meet him and never extended any. Simply on the basis that the believes my fiance is too old for me.

Reason Number Two is a newer reason. In todays phone call my mother mentioned that there had been a debate within her family about whether or not I should recieve Christmas gifts, since they were buying for just the grandchildren. I am a grandchild. I am not a child. This is where the debate lays. I want to say that while it's nice to get presents its not a big deal to me either way. In fact, I didnt even know about this debate until after the fact. My mother argued because she believed I should recieve gifts. Her reasoning wasn't to bring attention to the fact that I am in fact a grand, but to convince everyone I am still a child. Thanks mom. I'd rather not have the presents and be acknowledged as an adult.

While telling me about the debate, my mother made her opinion of me quite clear. In fact, she said, "You are still a child. You are still a child. You are still a child." I think she was trying to brainwash me. Boy, will she be in for a shock when I tell her I'm getting married.

Reason Number Three: I'm just not sure of the best way to bring this up. In the car on the way home from the airport, call a family meeting  (which my family doesnt do), wait until the ring arrives and be like "suprise", nonchalantly "by the way Mike asked me to marry him"". Opinions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you read? Leave a comment. Don't like what you read? Leave a comment.