Sunday 16 May 2010

Kettle Bottom by Diane Fisher

I've read this book twice. It was required summer reading for my freshman year of college and I added it to my senior seminar reading list because of the influence it had on a segment of my final project.

Fisher's collection of poetry presents the tale of a small coal mining town in West Virgina. She transitions between several characters in the town and touches on all of the aspects of peoples lives that coal mining reaches- cleaning, sex, education, death, marriage, parenting.

I love this colllection. I think that switiching speakers really helps to present the full view of the town. I especially love this book because although its poetry there is an underlining story that connects all of the pieces.

I was so inspired by this book that I've begun to write my own series of poems called Westbound Hope, about a woman (Hope) whose family is traveling west (think oregon trail) at the insistence of her husband. So far the series is only a few poems long and is mostly from Hope's point of view, with one poem from her husband's. I'll let you know if the series ever makes it anywhere.

Anyway, if you like poems, but aren't big on having to "dig deep" to decipher..er find... the meaning of things then add this book to your reading list. If you're like me its a mile long already.

Get your copy here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you read? Leave a comment. Don't like what you read? Leave a comment.