Thursday 13 May 2010

Cafe Europa: Life After Communism by Slavenka Drakulic

I'm going to be honest. I had to read this book for a history class and write a paper on it.

I'm going to be honest. I completely love this book!

Drakulic writes about life in Eastern Europe after the fall of Communism. She touches a bit on her personal life, but this isn't an autobiography. I'd probably classify it as a social commentary, in which the author uses examples from her life to make her point. I like reading "historical" things, but they tend to be on the dryer side so I tend not to recommend them as "for fun" reads, but if your booklist has a histtorical lean, then you might want to give this one a try. Drakulic's sharp wit really adds to the book and keeps you turning the pages. Give it a try and read about a gaudy pink bathroom, how hard it is/was to buy a vaccum cleaner in Easter Europe, American teeth, and the trouble with sales. Through humor and many examples Drakulic takes you through big topics like capitalism, communism, activism, guilt, fear of the other and social responsiblity.

I'm planning on checking out Drakulic's other books: How We Survived Communism and Even Laughed  and The Taste of a Man.

Want a copy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you read? Leave a comment. Don't like what you read? Leave a comment.