Wednesday 4 August 2010

Book Review: Falling Into the Sun by Charrie Hazard

I won this book from Skirt! magazine  and it had been on my "to read" list for a long time. So I thought, what better time to read it then when I'm hanging out in South Korea with little to nothing on the immediate "to do" list. One of the first things I noticed when I recieved this book is that, on the front cover, the book is praised by my Janterm poetry professor Peter Meinke.

And the praise was well deserved. I loved this book. I could not put it down. I did not want it to end. The story is complicated and intense.

Hazard carefully weaves a tale of a woman living her life as a professor, coping with the stumbling upon the  suicide of a neighboor  (Michael) and her teenage son's violent outbursts. The main character, Kate, deals with these stresses through advice from friends, minsiters and therapists. Kate's story parallels  with the journey of Michael's soul (the neighboor).

The book explores ideas found in Hinduism, Native American teachings and Christian traditions. I especially like the image Hazard provides of a laughing God. Definitely gave me something to ponder.

Hmmm...that description does not do the book justice. It is a truly beautiful masterpiece. You must read it. That is all.

Get your copy here:



Have you read it? What did  you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you read? Leave a comment. Don't like what you read? Leave a comment.