Wednesday 6 April 2011

Bouchons Au Thon- It's What's for Dinner!

Who da what?


Thats what I thought when I first read the name of this recipe in Molly Wizenberg's   A Homemade Life: Stories and Recipes from My Kitchen Table. And then I saw that the recipe was for tuna. And I thought no matter who da what, no way. I don't like tuna. And then I remembered that Mike has been asking for tuna and had even stockpiled some in the cabinets. So, I thought what the hey...lets give it a try. And I'm glad I did because now I can say I like tuna. And I'm also now a big fan of Gruyere...which I'd been wanting to try for awhile.Ingredients:
6 oz can of tuna packed in water, drained
1 cup lightly packed finely shredded Gruyere
1/3 cup cream
3 tablespoons of tomato paste
3 large eggs
1/4 cup finely  (don't ignore the finely) chopped yellow onion
2 tablespoons of basil (recipe calls for italian parsley)
1/4 teaspoon of salt...I left it out and didn't notice
Steps
1. Preheat to 325F. Grease 8 muffin cups.
2. Put the tuna in a medium bowl and mash it into small pieces. No chunks bigger than a dime.
3. Add the other ingredients, mashing and stirring as you go, until the mixture is a light orange-pink color.
4. Divide evenly between the eight muffin cups.
5. Bake for 25 minutes until they look set on top. Set on a wire rack and let cool for 5 minutes. Run a small thin knife around the edges toremove from tin. They cave in a bit as the cool.
I served these with fresh steamed green beans in a garlic butter sauce and a broccili/carrot/cauliflower mixture.
half eaten veggies, I couldn't wait for the picture
For the green bean sauce:
Cook 2 tablespoons of butter with 1 glove of mashed garlic until tender. Add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, salt and pepper and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. Toss with cooked green beans
And for dessert?
Instafondue! Strawberries, banana and marshmallows slathered drizzled in chocolate syrup. Mmmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you read? Leave a comment. Don't like what you read? Leave a comment.