Saturday 16 April 2011

Book Review: We Be Big

I've recently stumbled across the booksneeze program that gets books to bloggers in exchange for two reviews. The first book I selected to review is We Be Big: The Mostly True Story of How Two Kids from Calhoun County, Alabama, Became Rick and Bubba. I picked this book because 1. I thought my dad would enjoy reading it once I reviewed it and 2. I remembered watching their tv radio show on Turner South as a kid and I remembered that they always made me laugh.I always struggle a bit with book reviews because I don't want to give away the plot but I think that the title pretty much serves as a plot summary as well. The book alternates  from Rick to Bubba's POV chapter by chapter. I really enjoyed that aspiect of the book. I liked being able to read about the same event from two different perspectives, especially in the early sections of the book before Rick and Bill were Rick and Bubba. When I first started reading the book I thought it was a bit dry but the more I read, the less I wanted to put the book down. It's a good book and I enjoyed reading it. After the first few chapters, it kept my interest and kept me intrigued. It has its funny moments and gets better and better as the book goes on. I didn't remember the Rick and Bubba show expressing their Christian beliefs as much as they do and say they do in the book, but I was a kid when I watched the show so I may hae just forgotten that part. So it was a pleasnt suprise to realize that Rick and Bubba are Chrisitians and do their best to out on a Chrisitan, family-friendly and funny show.I think that the Christian overtones and messages in the book were wonderfully done. The book didn't hit me over the head with the author's believes but I was able to understand their thoughts and beliefs. So if you're not a Christian please don't shy away from this wonderful read. Want to buy the book? Check out the links on the top-left side of the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you read? Leave a comment. Don't like what you read? Leave a comment.