Hotglue's Black Forest CakeFor the cake:
1/2 cup cake flour
1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup granulated sugar
8 Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
For the sugar syrup:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
For the filling and frosting:
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 Tbs. confectioners' sugar
1 tsp. cherry juice
jarred cherries (marschino)
Semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat to 350. Grease your round pan
2. Mix the flour and cocoa in a bowl and set aside.
3. Beat the eggs vanilla and sugar for about 5 minutes or until the volume triples
5. (This part made no sense but we did it anyway). Add a dollop of the mixture to your melted butter, stir together and add it all back into the batter.
6. Pour into pan and smooth. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Willaims Sonoma says you want the cake to look puffed.
8. Once the cake is cool cut into 3 equal layers.
10. Brush each layer with the syrup.
11. To make the frosting, beat the cream and powdered sugar until medium stiff peaks form. Add in the cherry juice, a capful of vanilla and the sugary syrup. Add the syrup and juice in increments unitl you've got it tasting the way you want. We added way more than the recomended tsp.
12. Frost inbetween each layer, adding sliced cherries and chocolate chips as you go.
Side note: Lu and her family keep their sugar, flour, pasta etc in mason jars and I think that is the coolest idea ever