Tuesday 8 March 2016

Book Review: Locally Laid by Lucie B. Amundsen

Locally Laid: How We Built a Plucky,…



Locally laid is the true account of Lucie and her husband's journey from liberal arts educated writers to chicken farmers. The journey is not an easy one and the Amundsen's face many challenges from personal to chicken related. In the beginning, Lucie is totally against her husband's idea of opening a locally owned chicken farm and the book follows her as she comes to terms with the idea and later educates herself on what it means to be a part of middle agriculture.

As I am just setting out on my journey of eating more naturally, locally and (eventually) seasonally I found this book an especially interesting read. As my close friends know, I am terrified of chickens and other birds of prey and would never dream of owning my own chickens but I do value farm fresh, local eggs from humanely raised chickens. I enjoyed following Lucie's journey and cheering for Lola, although I did get bogged down a few times. I enjoyed Lucie's humor. She doesn't make you belly laugh but the humor is definitely present and I guess, given the gritty details of farm life, it often had to be present in her life as well.

*I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an  honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you read? Leave a comment. Don't like what you read? Leave a comment.