Friday 25 March 2016

Book Review: Black and White Bible, Black and Blue Wife by Ruth Ann Tucker




Black and White Bible, Black and Blue Wife  is Ruth Tucker's true story. Ruth is a professor and mother. Her husband was a minister and used the Bible's call for wives to submit to their husband's as validation for abusing her. Ruth tells her story and refutes her husband's logic with Biblical evidence. 


For the most part, I think that Tucker makes her point well. She applies logic and reasoning to verses in the Bible and uses the verses in context. For example, she points out that many often ignore the command for husbands to love their wives as Christ loves the church, or that people are quick to chalk up the command to forgo braids and jewelry to cultural differences but heavily stress other commands in the same section. I found that Tucker and I held the same view in most cases but she provides extra examples and verses for me to look up and remember when I have this discussion with others. At times, I felt she got overly scholarly, but for the most point I found B&WB,BBW to be on point and enlightening. 

I'm curious to hear about how your thoughts on submission and the biblical roles of wives and husbands. Personally, I think that the Bible places emphasis on women being strong! Look at the Proverbs 31 woman for an example.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you read? Leave a comment. Don't like what you read? Leave a comment.