Thursday 9 June 2011

I Have More Street Smarts Than You Care to Admit

Certain people in my life (namely my father, sister and husband) are always getting on me because I like to read and the fact that I'm a little short changed when it common sense, and in fact they tend to form a relationship between the two which I think is dumb of them but anyway. I am not known for my street smarts, but I may have proven a few people wrong yesterday.

Here's the dealio:

A man got into my line and his total came to $2.12 and he  handed me a $100 bill. I checked it and started to count out his change.

He stopped me and took back the $100 bill and put it in his pocket and said he had the $2.12 instead****.

Then he says to me that he doesn't have the $2 but gave me the 12 cents and asked me for $98 change instead. So I  count out the $98 and set it on top of my register (At this point I knew what was going on and waas making sure to be extra cautious). I asked him for the $100 bill.

He told me he gave it to me. I said no you didn't. He told me to look in the bottom of my drawer, that he watched me out it there. I put my hand over the changed and quickly flipped through the bills.  I told him I put it there when he first handed it to me and then he put it in his pocket and never gave it back to me.

He handed me $2 and left.

**** Indicates when I first realized what was happening. Bells went off in my head beacause I read an article about how conartists try to swindle hot dog vendors out of extra cash by confusing them about what bills were given to them by trading the money back and forth a lot during the transaction

1 Mrs. BOOK SMARTS 0 Mr. Street Smart Loser

Take that!

1 comment:

  1. If you haven't, you should read Neil Gaiman's American Gods. There is a scene in the book where one of the main characters pulls this exact con on a clerk in a convenience store. i have had people try to pull it on me when I was a cashier. Kudos for you. And I like your smarts Kiddo. The other day I admitted to a friend that I don't think I have a great deal of street smarts. He said that was a good thing, because all the people he knew with street smarts were sleazy. Street Smarts give you the aura of sleaze he said, so be glad you are just brilliant in every other way! :)

    ReplyDelete

Like what you read? Leave a comment. Don't like what you read? Leave a comment.