Friday 1 January 2016

Building My Brain

This year, my word of the year is "Build". In that spirit, I've constructed (haha!) a reading list of books that I would like to read this year.

Inspirational and Instructional

Keep It Shut by Karen Ehman 

I've wanted to read this for sometime now. This Bible based book is supposed to teach women how to say what they want to and how to curb their tongue when things need to go unsaid. I really could benefit from this as I have a very quick tongue when I'm angry yet other times I struggle to speak up for myself. 

Made to Crave by Lisa TerKeurst

This book deals with food but it is also inspirational so I've listed it here. I want to read this book so I can better understand why I relate to food the way I do and to re-frame my life so that I relate to both food and God in the way He intended us to. 

Jesus Through Middle Eastern Eyes by Kenneth Bailey

Before I left for Korea, I worked at a place that held weekly Bible study and prayer meetings. We read a similar series of books in that study. I'd like to learn more about culture and times of people in the Bible. 

Fly a Little Higher by Laura Sobeich  

This memoir is the story of Laura and her son Zach, who died of cancer. After receiving his diagnosis, Laura prayed that if Zach must die that it be for something big. This is that story. 

The Fringe Hours Making Time For You by Jessica N. Turner

This book has been recommended by several blogs I follow. I think it will be a good read to get organized. 

Women of the Bible One Year Devotional by Ann Spangler

I really enjoyed reading Spangler's Wicked Women of the Bible and hope to learn even more from this devotional.  

Food Related

Year of No Sugar  by Eve Schaub
In her memoir, Schaub recounts how she quit her sugar addiction. I'm reading this because I want to follow in her footsteps.

Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver 

This is the story of a family who moves to a farm and vows to eat locally for a year. 

+ I bought a few "real food" cookbooks that I hope to read through and test out in the coming months. 

Just for Fun

The following were recommended to me by friends and family last year and I didn't get a chance to read or finish them:

  • Silent Tears by Kay Bratt
  • Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum
  • The Husband's Secret  by Liane Moriart
  • The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson
  • House at Tyneford by Natasha Solomons
  • The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
  • All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

These books I have read before and hope to enjoy again this year:
  • Sword of Truth Series
  • Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon
What books are you hoping to tackle this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you read? Leave a comment. Don't like what you read? Leave a comment.