Tuesday 2 June 2015

Smoky Salmon Penne

I love pesto.
I love pasta.
I love bacon.
I love summertime.

How do all these things go together you ask? Well, in this recipe the first three combine to make the perfect summertime pasta. It is delicious eaten hot or cold. I had it hot for lunch one day and then cold a few days later. I ate it as my main dish but, in a smaller portion, I could see it as a side. Maybe for a turkey burger with red onions. Yummy.

It's a little salty from the bacon, smoky from the charred peppers and bacon, cheesy and creamy from the pesto. And the tomatoes and salmon each add a nice pop of flavor.

What are you favorite summertime dishes?



Ingredients: 

1/2 white onion, chopped fine
2 jalapenos, chopped
2 garlic stems, chopped fine
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
15 halved cherry tomatoes
4 strips bacon, crumbled (reserve grease)
1 can salmon, drained
4 servings cooked penne pasta
2 tablespoons pesto
a liberal sprinkling of McCormick's Italian Seasoning

Procedure:

1. Stir pesto into cooked and drained noodles. Set aside.
2. Using the  reserved bacon grease sautee jalapenos, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Sprinkle liberally, or to taste, with Italian Seasoning.  Onion should soften and the peppers should char slightly. Add cherry tomatoes.
3. Drain salmon and add it to the vegetables. Stir until warmed through.
4. Add crumbled bacon and penne to the mixture. Heat through. Serve hot or refrigerate and serve cold.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you read? Leave a comment. Don't like what you read? Leave a comment.