Salty Sweet Shortbread Squares, as adapted from Marha Stewart Living
- 3 1/4 cup salted small pretzels (I used Newman's Own High Protein Pretzels)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 stick butter
- 1.2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 bag semi sweet choc chips (Aldi brand!!)
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease a small casserole pan.
- Pulse 1 3/4 cup pretzwels in a food processor until powdery. Transder 1/2 cup to a bowl and discard the rest. Stir in flour and baking powder. Roughly chop (or pulse) remaining pretzels.
- Beat butter and sugar until pale and fluggy. Beat in egg yolk and then pretzel flour mixture until combined. Mix in 1/2 cup chopped pretzels..
- Press dough evenly into pan. Top with 1/4 cup choppped pretzels. Press slightly.
- Bake until pale and firm aprox. 25 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cool one hour
- Melt chocolate with a double boiler. Drizzle over cooled shortbread. Let harden then cut into small squares.