Friday 13 November 2015

Hot Apple Pie

Warm fall flavors followed by a tingle of heat....

If that sounds like you, then check out my recipe for Hot Apple Pie. I took my inspiration from this blackberry pie.



+



Ingredients:

4 cups apples, peeled and sliced (I used a mixture of Jazz and Honeycrisp, but use your favorite)
1 cup quick oats
1 cup brown sugar, divided
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup honey
1/8 cup chopped pecans
2 sliced jalapenos
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg


+ your favorite crust or crust recipe. I say this because I used a gluten free crust made from a baking mix to accommodate the friend I was sharing the pie with. I used this crust recipe.

Steps:

1. Preheat oven to 425F.

2. Mix together the apples, honey, jalapenos, cornstarch, 1/2 cup brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Let set for half an hour or while you prepare your favorite crust recipe.

3. Line the pie pan with your favorite crust recipe.

3. Remove jalapenos from apples and pour filling over crust.**

4. Mix together 1/2 cup brown sugar, quick cooking oats and pecans. Cut in butter until crumbly. Cover filling with this topping.

5. Bake for 15 minutes. Cover with aluminium foil and bake for 10 minutes more. Let cool before serving.

**For a more consistent or spicier tingle, remove the jalapeno slices, dice them and return them to the apple mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you read? Leave a comment. Don't like what you read? Leave a comment.