Friday 4 January 2013

Cooking Through Christmas

I bought this awesome Christmas themed cookbook from Taste of Home for $10.

They are a ton of great recipes...some new takes on old favorites and others new altogether to me. I've compiled a list of recipes I want to try. I've numbered them and plan on testing as many as I can. I've chosen the first one: Date Swirl Cookies! The recipe follows below. If you'd like to pick the next one I test be the first to comment with a number from 1-329. There are a few other recipes I will post but you can chose the next to be made.

I didn't get a picture because they flew off the table at work.

Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups pitted dates, chopped
3/4 cup sugar, divided
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 cupss all purpouse flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

Instructions:

In a saucepan, combine dates, 1/4 cup sugar, water, nuts and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirr constantly until thick. Let cool.

Beat butter, brown sugar, egg , egg and remaining sugar. Add flour, baking soda and salt. Chil for half hour.

Roll dough on a floured surface into a 1/4 in thick rectangle. Spread with date mixture. Start at the long end and roll up like a jelly roll.

Wrap with waxed paper, chill for at least 4 hours.

Remove paper and slice (1/8-1/4 inch). Place on a greased baking sheet, around 2 inches apart.

Bake 375F for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack

Made 3-4 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you read? Leave a comment. Don't like what you read? Leave a comment.